I’m beginning an exciting marketing project this month. If all goes according to plan, I’ll supercharge my sales, marketing, and video editing skills. If it doesn’t, I’ll still have learned something along the way. My outline is below.
- At the end of the month, I will have a video (possibly a series) comparing the effectiveness of various pieces of ad copy. The effectiveness will be tested by exposing the copy to random people and surveying them on how it affected them. It will examine the effectiveness not only of different styles of copy, but of different delivery methods as well.
- The plan is to write copy for a made-up product in two different styles: one focusing on feelings, and one focusing on data. I’ll set up a table in a public place and read it to people who stop by. I’ll also include a third piece of copy written by a professional as a sort of control. I’ll survey the people to see how the copy affected them, if at all. I’ll also ask for their emails. A week later, I will send emails containing the same copy, plus another written specifically to be read on a screen, not out loud. I’ll survey them again on the effectiveness.
- I’m aiming for a position in sales or marketing. This project gives me an opportunity to gain expertise in both fields, with an emphasis on marketing.
- Weekly breakdown:
- Week 1: I will have all of my copy written and will have secured a place to set up a booth. That’s where I’ll be running my project from.
- Week 2: I’ll have set up for a few hours and gotten my data, and hopefully a few email addresses. I’ll also begin editing the video(s).
- Week 3: If necessary, set up again and get more responses. Otherwise, the emails will be sent out, and I’ll have received some responses. Continue editing video.
- Week 4: Finish editing video. Depending on how much time I have, I might add some extra stuff.
- My biggest challenge will be coming up with completely different types of copy for the exact same product. I need to make them as different as possible in order to test the effectiveness of various approaches, and saying the same thing in totally different ways will be tough.
- My personality and writing ability are my biggest assets. I’ll hopefully be able to convince a lot of people listen to me read the copy, and they should rate it as effective if my writing is as good as I think it is.
Expect periodic updates on my progress. I can’t wait to share the final product. Should be fun.